2TB Hard Disks - beware the 15mm drives!

I ordered a Slice with no hard disk as I’m quite happy to fit one myself. However, the 2TB WD Green disk I have tried to fit today is too thick!
The Western Digital WD20NPVX is 15mm thick, as is the Toshiba MQ series (PX3006E-1HL0) so it looks like the Samsung M9T / Seagate ST2000LM003 is the only one around that will do the job if you need the 2TB capacity.

Hi Mick - sorry you found out the hard way but we have repeatedly said throughout the campaign that you need to use a 9.5mm drive as this is the thickets the case will support :smile:

It’s my mistake entirely, I hadn’t taken the time to check the drive specs before I ordered it, but I thought I’d post a heads up so others don’t get caught like I did.

Very wise - we should maybe make it clearer so people don’t trip up on it in the future!

@mo I can see an additional item for your shop here a case shim kit And longer screws. :wink:

So Seagate ST2000LM003 or Samsung ST2000LM003 will definitely work ?

We do not definitely confirm anything other than the drive we put in there by default (because we tested it and found that it does everything we want it to including not taking too much current on spin up)

You would have to have a go yourself and see.

As Gordon says we only support the drives we fit - but the good news is from what I can tell that is the 2TB we use… I know this because that is pretty much the only 2TB 2.5 inch on the market.

And just to be clear the drive is Seagate/Samsung. There are not two versions of the M9T. This would be it below…

Hi Gordon & Mo :slight_smile: There is a newer model of this item & is only 7 mm :slight_smile: Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive (7 mm Form Factor, 128 MB Cache SATA 6 GB/s up to 140 MB/s)