BCM2836 Compute Module

I’d like to get my hands on CM2(s) as soon as possible
(and by that I don’t mean ASAP, which - to me - sounds like:
“some time in the distant future” :wink:).

(I did the comparison between RPi B and RPi 2 - and
the RPi 2 definitely is worth it!)

Well, the RPi foundation has said that the CM2 is not a high priority as for most embedded systems the current CM is plenty powerful enough. The Slice is different in that regard as it could use the power of a fast CPU. There is no fixed date for release except “towards the end of the year”. I’m sure that James is working on the CM2 as part of his day job but it may not be at the top of his list.

As for what an upgrade might cost; the current CM is $30 in units of 100 but just because the RPi 2 is the same price at the B+ doesn’t mean that the CM2 will be the same as the CM1 as I know that some cost was taken out when updating from the B to the B+ which soaked up some of the extra cost of the faster CPU and more RAM in the Pi 2. On top of the base cost is the cost for the media licences and the man power to program the CM2 with Kodi, plus, of course, shipping and 20% VAT. In truth I would estimate that a stand alone upgrade would be around £40 - £50, but we won’t really have a good idea until the price is known for the CM2

I just picked up a Pi2 (only $10 after sale price and coupon applied). I loaded it up with the latest Openelec build which has Kodi 14.2.
Streaming my QNAP based test file 40Gb .mkv rip of The Hunger Games with DTS 5.1 passthrough was faultless.
The same file through Slice pauses frequently, sometimes for several seconds, but is otherwise as good.
Bring on the CM2 upgrade is all I can say.

Thanks @Ian for the info. I have just this moment purchased a Pi2 and various accessories. Looking forward to having a play with it and building my own media player. :grin:

Make sure you get the correct build for Pi2. I set Openelec up on the microSD card on Windows using the disk image file download and Win32DiskImager. Took about 5 minutes.

Thanks for the heads up. As this is the first time I’ve ever played with a pi should I stick with the noobs that is already pre installed? I know boot up will be longer as it would load noobs then openelec. Or should I just have it run openelec or even crazier try osmc???

I take it the process in the link you posted is the method of turning a micro sd card into a designated boot drive…so so openelec or other program runs straight from power up? And kodi is part of openelec??

Please go easy on me if I’m talking nonsense…as I have said I have never attempeted anything like this before.

If you have a spare microSD card,then set it up as Openelec (which is a like a wrapper for Kodi 14.2).
If you don’t have a spare microSD card, get one and proceed as above :smile:

I’m not sure what is on the Noobs card, maybe it gives you a choice of OS to install.

I tried Raspbmc (now osmc?) and Openelec on a Pi B and B+, couldn’t really see much difference between them. I use Openelec because (insert reason here).

It’s just a matter of tinkering. You can’t break the Pi, and you will probably end up with a bunch of microSD cards with different flavours of OS on in the end. And probably a whole house full of Pi projects! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a great little bit of kit. It was so much easier than I thought it would be.
The noobs pre-installed did not have openelec it had raspbian and some others. To be honest I looked for openelec it was not on the sd card so formatted and installed openelec on it. Within 5mins it was up and running.
Shame scrapping my movies and tv shows took around 2hrs!! :scream: but I do have about 3tb. Your so right for the pi projects around the house…my boy now wants one and the father in law is also contemplating a pi.
Overall the proposed pi2 powered cm for the slice needs to be a must. Put my name down for the upgrade. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My next project is to make a “speaker (room) selector” for my cobbled together “whole house audio”.
What I need is a Pi compatible relay bank to switch on/off different speakers. They are on a 70v system though and the only relays I have found so far are 5v or 12v.

Sounds interesting. So why 70v? Is that the feed? I assume the pi Would be 5v as that’s what the board requires.

Won’t you need a enclosure with 2din rails.
On the 1st control relays (pi 5v to 12v)
2nd din12v transformer Powered relays (12v to 100v) 100v being overrated so with that discrimination the relays won’t burn out.

It’s like an old lighting system in one of the office buildings at my work. :grin:

Hows your knowledge on shared library’s??? I have gave up on the osmc platform as found it not as fluid as openelec. So have 2 pi2’s with openelec running (noobs backed) all work great but I’d like to amalgamate the library, so where ever I decide to watch my tv shows I can pick up exactly where I 've left off.
I have all my files on a wd my cloud personal nas storage device. I connect data via smb.
How do I go about creating a shared library or a master library for a slave pi2 to extract data from?

You need to run a mysql server on the database.

Thanks for the links. I’m struggling to find how to install it On my wd device. But will get there. Thanks again :smile:

The speaker system is likely 70v audio.

The typical relays use 12v or 5v coil voltage to switch some other voltage, usually up to 250vac. Those (mechanical) relays should do fine switching 70v audio.

Lots of stuff online about hooking relays to the Pi. The cheap chinese modules which integrate 1-8 (sometimes more) relays on a board with connectors for input control and the controlled circuit and which include the driver transistors for the relays have worked well for me.

I have researched a bit more, and looked at some Sainsmart products in the local computer store. I think they will do the trick, might not even need a Pi with the Ethernet connected variety.

Yes, I expect those would do just fine.

An “ethernet connected variety”… I have to check on those!

I have ordered one of the first devices, along with two 8 channel relay modules. One to control with Pi, other one to control over Ethernet using App. Experimental speaker selector and irrigation system controller!

Is the module already out? :smile:

I googled it and there is no new at all, not even a mention of a module 2, I’m starting to wonder if it will really happen