Best way to update from slice stable to LibreELEC-Slice.arm-7.95.2.tar

hi,
i tried today to update my slice player from current stable os (Slice (community) Version: devel-20160306102559-r21936-ga5524f0) to the new libre elec 7.95.2. I tried to copy the file LibreELEC-RPi.arm-7.95.2.tar to the /storage/.update/ folder over ssh, but there is not enough space available.
lines of df -h:
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 166.1M 0 166.1M 0% /dev
/dev/mmcblk0p5 511.7M 162.0M 349.8M 32% /flash
/dev/mmcblk0p3 92.8M 40.9M 44.9M 48% /storage

how can I solve this issue?
what’s the best/suggested way to do the update (copy .tar file to .update folder or refresh the complete internally eMMC of the slice player with libre elec os)?
is it necessary to backup some license keys before the update, e.g. for mpeg2 playback? if yes, which files or keys should be considered for the backup?
whats the difference of LibreELEC-Slice.arm-7.95.2.tar (available at http://chewitt.libreelec.tv/slice/ ) and LibreELEC-RPi.arm-7.95.2.tar (available at http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-RPi.arm-7.95.2.tar)?
will this two different LicreELEC version merged in the future or is the special slice build only available at chewitt?

thank you, regards,
harald

I’m on 7.95.2 now /dev and /flash look the same as mine but /storage is 2.9G where as 92.8M is never going to have the space for the libreelec updates.

I went from the nightly (which i remember having some changes in partion sizes) and copied the libreelec tar file into the SMB update folder over the network which i think is the same as /storage/.update/.

Once you’re on a libreelec build you can update to new versions from within libreelec itself.

I would be very careful about refreshing the internal eMMC as your mpg and vc-1 licenses as well as other fundamental configuration settings are stored there and you risk losing them. Definitely the best way is copying the tar file. but I dont know enough about repartioning to help you with that i’m afraid.

Good luck, Matthew

Hello Matthew,
thank you for your reply. In the meantime, I did some own “investigations” about the “backup license keys & config” topic.
The file config.txt contains some interesting/important parts, e.g. the slice default(?) overclocking settings:
arm_freq=900
core_freq=300
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=6
and more important, the License keys to enable GPU hardware decoding for some codecs
CM_SERIAL=000000006xxxxxx
decode_MPG2=0x30xxxxx
decode_WVC1=0x4fxxxxx
The export of the config.txt (already happened) file over ssh to my MacBook should preserve all license keys and some important settings.
My big issue is still the partionsize, which doesn’t allow me to copy the libre elec tar file. Maybe there’s an option to expand the filesystem (to the whole size of eMMC) or increase the size of the specific partition of the “.update” area.
If I understand your reply right, you switched from stable to nightly build and the nightly build has different partionsizings (especially the partition which contains .update is bigger)?

kind regards,
Harald

Yes that’s correct (at least that’s how I remember it), it might be worth trying this before wiping the eMMC, unless of course someone provides a simple command to resize the partition easily.

You need to download the Slice version of the build to get everything working

thanx inffy. If I’ll find a solution to resize the partition which includes the .update folder, I try to install the slice build of libre elec. My point was more or less to clarify the differences of the (official?) rpi- and slice-build, because the version of chewitt is more or less unofficial, right?

Chewitts buiöds are pretty.mucj the same as the RPI/rpi2 but with added patches to audio and the led strip I think. I think they will be officially supported at some point

http://forum.libreelec.tv/showthread.php?pid=33417#pid33417