Bloody exFAT test

For those who’ve experienced problems with hard drives disappearing I’ve switched the driver so that it uses a different system. Hopefully this should have a different effect (although I can’t guarantee it’s better!)

Be interested if some people could have a go with the bloody release and see how it performs

I have my HDD formatted as NTFS at present, does the same driver get used for NTFS? IF so I can give it a test. If not I can re-format to exfat and test if you like.

Let me know

PS, I know you said some time ago NTFS is slower, but I was trying it out in the bloody builds, only using Slice for flac music files.

NTFS still uses the fuse driver so there is no difference. I’m really interested in people who’ve been having trouble with their hard drives disappearing, there is evidence on the web that this is actually a problem with the exFAT fuse driver (for example there are bug reports that the driver crashes when it sees a file with a specific length of filename!)

Please note this is bloody only for the moment

Ah! that would explain things in a different perspective: I seem to have had less issues since I decided to test the NTFS formatted HDD, I was getting all sorts of weird things with exfat. I was beginning to suspect a possible trigger being “not stopping a media file playing” and just letting it finish (in my case music). I was beginning to feel that stopping playback and / or going back to the home screen seemed to make the problem of weirdness somewhat less. A bit like a file being left open, and the O/S / hardware times out, disk spins down or such-like and when it wakes up in response to a key-press it gets in a state because it assumes that because the file is open, the hardware must all be awake and the HDD spinning, a (e.g) read command is issued and the system gets in a state because the HDD is not spinning, and expects it to be so, therefore “sulks” rather than waits for a spin-up causing the disk to disappear from a DF list…

Just random thoughts from what I observed when using exfat. Because NTFS has been around for longer maybe those sorts of bugs have been ironed out in fuse.

So in a perverse sort of way, I am saying that NTFS seems to be more stable than exfat using fuse.