Flashing CM3 using iMac ( Help!)

I have a 5 Ninjas Raspberry Slice, and followed the process of upgrading to a CM3 from CM1. I diid the upgrade about 4 months back, and not being an expert I was very pleased cause everything worked fine. However, over the last few weeks I found the system was slow to boot, and yesterday tried to use the device and nothing would load. So I thought go through the flashing and loading LibreElec again. Thats when my problems started and had no success.

This is what appears in Terminal when i write the command :- $ Sudo ./rpiboot

Waiting for BCM2835/6/7
Sending bootcode.bin
Successful read 4 bytes
Waiting for BCM2835/6/7
Second stage boot server
File read: start.elf

The slice then appears on my iMac and I can successfully install LibreELEC using the app LibreELEC USB- SD Creator. Files are clearly showing on the slice. I then elect the slice, switch off etc. However if I attach the device back to the iMac to ensure I can still see the device it is no longer there. As if the information has not been stored on the CM3.

So I then went back through the process but used this command. $ sudo ./rpiboot -v
This is what appears.

colins-iMac-2:usbboot colinbeynon$ sudo ./rpiboot -v
Waiting for BCM2835/6/7
Device located successfully
Initialised device correctly
Found serial number 0
Sending bootcode.bin
libusb_bulk_transfer returned 0
Writing 51992 bytes
Successful read 4 bytes
Waiting for BCM2835/6/7
Failed to open the requested device
Initialised device correctly
Found serial number 1
Second stage boot server
Received message GetFileSize: autoboot.txt
Cannot open file autoboot.txt
Received message GetFileSize: config.txt
Cannot open file config.txt
Received message GetFileSize: recovery.elf
Cannot open file recovery.elf
Received message GetFileSize: start.elf
File size = 433616 bytes
Received message ReadFile: start.elf
File read: start.elf
Received message GetFileSize: fixup.dat
Cannot open file fixup.dat
libusb: error [submit_control_transfer] control request failed: no connection to an IOService
Second stage boot server done
libusb: warning [darwin_release_interface] USBInterfaceClose: no connection to an IOService

Is there a problem with the CM3, or am i doing something wrong.

I never found online instructions for flashing the CM3 card from macOS so I don’t know what drivers you are using? I ended up doing all flashing under Win7 via vmware. It still requires a few attempts before I get things to work, but I attribute that to my personal lack of practice as things need a specific timing and not that the drivers are bad.

Thanks for you’re response.I found these instructions last December on the forum, and it worked first time!

“” I guess the major problem is building rpiboot under OSX.
I have used macports (https://www.macports.org6) to get the necessary tools.
Alternatively you can use homebrew (https://brew.sh3).

Install macports following the instructions on the macports site (you’ll also need XCode and XCode Command Tools).
You need to install the following packages: git, libusb and libusb-devel
Get the rpiboot source from https://github.com/raspberrypi/usbboot11 and build it. Note you havel already installed libusb-devel above.
Then you can run it to make your CM3 eMMC available as external disk to your Mac.
To put your CM3 (assumed already installed in your Slice) into programming mode, connect the Slice to your Mac using the micro-USB cable and then power your Slice. Run rpiboot. Suggest to use ‘rpiboot -v’ so you can see what is happening.
If rpiboot completes successfully the eMMC will show up as an external disk and OSX will probably not recognize its format and propose to initialize it. Cancel this.
The flash the libreelec build use the ‘dd’ command or the Libreelec installer.
Using the LibreElec installer (https://libreelec.tv/downloads/7) is probably easier because you can select Slice(CM3) and it will select the latest build for you.
Good luck “”

However when I tried it a second time after my slice failed, I had the problem I previously posted.