HDD suddenly disappeared / un-mounted [RESOLVED]

My drive seems to be permanently gone, only accessible via Windows (and yes, I’ve updated and repaired and ejected ad nauseam). Since the solution (“treat it with care”) does nothing, the Slice now makes a nice, if a bit expensive, door stopper.

That’s strange, can you ssh into the box and do

dmesg > file
exfatfsck /dev/sda1 > file 2>&1
parted --list > file 2>&1
paste file

then post the link?

+1 on this dissappearing (preinstalled) Slice-HD problem. I recently updated to 20151102 stable, the media played at least once since the update, but now my HD doesn’t show its folder with my media and files are missing from the library, but I haven’t hooked up the slice to a PC recently. I will try some of the things I found on the forum and report back.

Update: I’ve verified this at least 5 times:
A “Reboot” always causes the Slice-HD not to be seen.
A “Power off system” and restart (by un-plugging and re-plugging the Power Supply) always shows the Slice HD.
Definitely a change in behavior form the previous stable version I had. (Bug? :grinning: )

Cheers, Bill

Hi Bill,
See this post.

and the few before it. I had exactly what you are seeing.
If you dont have the file off.png comment that line out with a # at the beginning of the line.
Regards Kevin.

Can you check the shudown.sh script in the ConfigFiles.sh script do you have just two lines, one of which is the hdparm -y /dev/sda1

If so then this is a known problem and has been fixed in nightly

You’ll need to reset the settings (and library) to fix it though

shudown.sh only has that hdparm -y /dev/sda1 line (not two). Unless I get antsy, I’ll probably wait for the fix to appear in the next stable. I don’t really reboot very often. Thanks guys!

Yeah, I think that’s the problem…

OK, well now i have the same issue the HDD has gone AWOL

Came home the evening and notice a light lite at the left side back, Slice all seemed fine, but cannot see local drive, powered off the system and back on still no HDD

The HDD is formatted as EXT4, never been connected to a PC, was formatted to EXT4 from ssh when i first got the Slice, over the last few week i had also had to issue that the HDD would unmount while in Kodi and then reconnect these logs have already been passed over to Gordon

Any ideas hot to get the HDD back?

forgot dmesg

echo 39 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio39/direction
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio39/value
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio39/value

has bought it back

Yeah it’s the same problem Bleep found, basically the shutdown.sh is turning off the hard drive on a reboot, and this means it won’t wake up in time when you reboot.

Should be fixed on bloody, but am going to need to add an extra script thing to overwrite the shutdown.sh on update

Hmmm…i pulled the power and still the HDD was missing

i am going to kill both the autostart.sh and shutdown.sh and see if this comes back, as my slice had not been rebooted for the problem to appear

I assume you’ve checked the drive in a Windows PC to make sure it’s clean?

it’s EXT4 so presumably no. :wink:
I’m sure Mike’ll be able to check it under Linux though. :smile:

Is this the standard supplied hard drive?

Yeah it’s the standard supplied toshiba drive, this does not really affect me using the slice as I store no media local.

Also I have noticed that when I get the HDD issue I seem to also get more random led flashes, as I said before I have removed the 2 files and will monitor the situation

Slice:~ # fsck /dev/sda1
fsck from util-linux 2.27
e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Slice-HD: clean, 11/61054976 files, 3883091/244190208 blocks

Again today the HDD unmounted and remounted all by itsself, later when i cam to ssh in the slice was unresponsive, to remote and keyboard, also had that LED lit again, had to pull the power again

Just to test if its a build issue or maybe hardware issue i am now running a standard build of OE, and still have the same issue, HDD went missing and only the following bought it back

echo 39 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio39/direction
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio39/value
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio39/value

Issue happened again. Slice has been minding its own business under the TV and completely unused. Next time it was used, the harddrive had disappeared and needed some windows love to get it to reappear.

Again to be clear, no power offs or bad shutdowns.

I’m not 100% how I check I’m on the latest software. I did update something during the booting process after the last failure, but it wasn’t called Slice, Openelec, Kodi or anything similar! Any clues? :slight_smile: