Slice and NAS Basic Questions

I’ve never owned a NAS but I’m interested in buying one to use with Slice and a couple other media devices on my home network. But I have a few basic questions (I called Synology but gave up after being on hold for a long time). I’m leaning towards a Synology unit.

1. I need to be able to read & write to the NAS from Windows 7 (and above) and OS X 10.9.5 (and above). Can I do that? - OK, I’ve researched, and I see that it’s no problem.

2. Slice will be the media player - so I don’t need to be too concerned with the power (cpu, etc.) of the NAS? No need for the “Play” series? DS214+ ?

3. Synology’s DSM 5.2 has Video Station, but do you use it now that you have Slice?

4. Not a NAS question, but have you loaded Kodi on the Amazon Fire TV?

Thanks in advanced for any feedback.

My answers refer to the corresponding questions :

1. Basically right. Your NAS won’t have to transcode media on the fly which uses a lot of processing power. BUT if you want to run a few advanced services on your NAS in the future (eg. Sickbeard, sick rage, couch potato etc.) a better processor will come in handy.

2. Never ever used video station. Not with Slice, nor before.

3. In the short time I had the Amazon Fire TV I loaded Kodi on it but quickly realized that it is not an option at the moment. There are severe issues with screen refresh rates, no native 24p support etc. I couldn’t run a single file from my NAS without returning hiccups and stuttering.

Hope this helps.

I have a QNAP TS-451 with native HDMI output and HD Station which has QNAP player (based on XBMC’s last build) and KODI. I use it exclusively in that mode in my media room to drive the projector.
It also runs PLEX server so I can watch my movies anywhere, including iPad, iPhone, Amazon Fire TV, Nvidia Shield.
My movies are in .m4v format as I originally had them on a PC to pull from iTunes to Apple TV but I have abandoned that method now, although I can still do that if I run iTunes on a separate PC.
It also serves as my Slice source and works 100% over Gigabit wired home network. I avoid Wifi unless absolutely necessary (iPad for instance!) I have even disabled Wifi on my Sonos setup and run that hard wired.

In answer to your question about Kodi on Fire TV, it works great but I did have to sideload it and then add a Kodi app that loads it from the home page. Love the Fire TV, also their stick works with Kodi too.

Also all my streaming devices, except Apple TV, work with Anynet+ (Samsung HDMI-CEC implementation).

I appreciate both of your responses and they have helped me. I’m now considering the Qnap TS-253-Pro. It’s probably more than I need but I thought that about a floppy disc at one time. Easy and inexpensive to upgrade the RAM in the Qnap, too. Ian, I’m a little reluctant to ask but here goes . . . on your 3 devices which run Kodi, is it equally fine in them? My 1st experience with Kodi/XBMC is with Slice. For a few years I’ve used the WDTV Live Hub (which is semi-retired now). I too have a Gigabit wired home network and only use Wifi for phone and iPad.

Thanks again.

It cannot be denied that the processing power of AFTV (not so much the stick version) and Shield makes for a much slicker running of KODI.
However I started out with a Pi running Openelec and was suitably impressed and happy with it. I even installed it a rackmount case with a USB hub, hard disk and Wifi dongle. Slice is the perfect implementation of what I did, with a nice metal case and the LEDs making it a much nicer thing to show off. And it’s portable. When the compute module based on Pi 2 becomes available (and I’m thinking weeks rather than months), Slice will be as good as any of the other boxes, albeit a dedicated KODI box. Yes, it will cost more $$ to upgrade it, but it shouldn’t be too painful otherwise.
The one thing I love about the Pi and Slice is the ability to use the (official) iOS KODI app on my phone to control it. Other than the volume control I don’t need anything else.
Make sure you allow enough disc space in your NAS for everything you are going to end up doing with it. I decided on a 4 bay so I could add space. I currently have two drives in it but can see the need to get two more quite soon. I have migrated all my music as well as movies, photos, PC backups and it’s getting quite full already! Based on a friend’s experience of adding memory (not as easy as we had hoped, needed an almost complete teardown) I got the 4 Gb version anyway. Love all the apps and features, although I am sure Synology is of the same calibre. It was the HDMI connection that swung it for me.

Just to be clear, apart from Pi and Slice I have been converted to Plex and predominantly use that on the AFTV and Shield now.

That would be the case for Plex but not Kodi, for Kodi the SLICE will just play the file via the network there is no transcoding or compression, so that’s not an issue. Just save your file into folders and point it out to SLICE and that’s all.

Thanks again guys for the replies. I hear you Ian about 4 bay vs 2 bay. You mentioned the official Kodi app on your phone. I’ve got the Sybu Kodi app on my phone. I wish that app (& the official app) gave access to Slice’s power off option so that I wouldn’t have to turn on the TV to access that feature when I need to plug in the mini USB for file transfer. And yes, I’m awaiting the release of the CM2 module for Slice. :fireworks:

I’m still reading about NAS. So, the Qnap TS-x253pro will format the drives to EXT4 but the Qnap software allows both Windows & OS X to read/write. As far as upgrading the RAM, on this model it is simply a matter of removing the metal cover with 3 or 4 screws.